Thursday, July 29, 2010

Curse You, Verizon.

I spent over 45 minutes on the phone with Verizon customer "support" today.  The girl who took my call had a hard time understanding what I wanted her to do for me, and it took about 30 minutes for me to explain it to her.  Then it took her 15 minutes to decide she couldn't help me.

It was simple, really.  I have 50 "bonus" minutes on my account.  During the last billing cycle, I used about 50 minutes beyond my limit, so I thought "hey, I'll apply my extra minutes and save myself 25 bucks."  Simple enough, right?

Well, for some reason this girl couldn't figure it out.  By the time she told me it couldn't be done, I was absolutely convinced that she was incompetent.  So I didn't believe her.  I called back and talked to a different representative.  He was able to confirm her response and it only took him 2 minutes.

This has happened before, too.  Half the time I call Verizon I get incompetent, poorly trained reps who can't seem to answer my questions.  I think I've finally learned to hang up immediately when my moron detector goes off.  I should have done that today - it would have saved me 45 minutes of trouble.

Turns out I'm not the only one who has had problems with Verizon support.  One guy, for example, couldn't get Verizon's reps to understand the difference between dollars and cents.

I was almost convinced to switch carriers today - I would have if I weren't attached to a blood-sucking two year contract.  What is it with these guys?

2 comments:

  1. They want you to get an iPhone4 and use Face Time with your brother in Pittsburgh.

    It took 70 minutes for me to cancel Verizon FIOS when I moved. Why is that complicated?

    When I still had Verizon mobile service, they once listed my account as "delinquent" and sent threatening letters, even though I had never once missed a payment. After 4 hours wasted on the phone because nobody in India could find the "malfunctioning billing system trying to ruin a client's credit" button on the computer, I sent a letter to New York threatening a lawsuit. Then they called me and the problem magically went away.

    My favorite moment was in the Apple store when I called to disconnect. "Why have you decided to terminate your service with us today Mr. Chaahmber-linne?"

    They charged me $200 because someone entered my cancel date wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, and Qwest is or did merge with Verizon. Because of mistakes they made, I was charged a $200 cancel fee with Qwest last year. Took me 2 months and hours on the phone to incompetent people. Finally, I got a hold of a technician who took pity on me (since he deals with the same trash) and gave me the corporate office number. The man I talked to took care of it in less than 5 minutes. I should have asked him to pay me for all the time I had to spend on the phone, and the stress it added to my life. I still have that corporate number, just in case I hear of anyone who needs it. It really bugs me that my Grandma has to deal with them. Jerks.
    Too bad Comcast doesn't do cell-phones. I love using them, because you talk to a customer service representative in your own state, where you can report any lying or incompetence. Haven't experienced any yet. Great internet, great phone service, under $50 a month, no contracts. (I should go into the advertising business.)

    ReplyDelete