Saturday, May 22, 2010

Shelves

I consider myself a clean and organized person.  Lately, though, my bedroom has been a disaster.  I've had such an abundance of stuff crammed into so small a space that my best efforts to keep things looking nice have failed.  Miserably.  You try to cram a business office and a lab into your bedroom!  Let me know if you have better luck.

I finally decided to do something about the problem and asked my landlord if I could install some shelves.  He was hesitant, and probably for good reasons, but I assured him that I would "make them look good," and that if he didn't like them, I could remove them and repair the walls before I move out.  He gave me the green light and so I got started.

I bought shelf brackets, wood, and stain from Home Depot (coming to about $140 total), and made a day of it.  I hadn't made shelves before, so I was a little nervous about making a mistake, but it turned out to be a simple project.  I installed three shelves above my computer desk (my "office"), and I installed three larger shelves above my lab table.


Now that they are finished, I can move the mile-high stack of books off of my dresser, I can organize my tools, and I can stop storing shipping supplies on my bed.  Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment